For this exercise, I was asked to re-work and generate new ideas from old sketches that I did in this unit, and for this, I am going to use the SCAMPER strategy in order to create the new images.
I firstly wanted to do a quick Google search on the other words below that didn’t have descriptions next to them already. I first went to search for each word individually but fortunately came across this website:
I was very pleased to have found it as it explained in more detail what each word meant in context to art and this particular exercise. For each word they write (S, C & A were already written down in the coursebook so I copied down M, P, E & R from what they explained on the website):
• (S) substitute – change one aspect of the drawing for another
• (C) combine – for this process you could either combine different pages from your
sketchbooks or add in other images to the mix from other sources, photographs you have
taken, words, other drawings, etc.
• (A) adapt – What part of the product can be changed, and how? What will happen when altering this component? What will happen by adding this component to the process? What adjustments would lead to the desired outcome?
• (M) modify – Will enlarging the process make a difference? Will minimizing the process make a difference?
• (P) put to another use – Where can I add one part of the process to another part to change it?
• (E) eliminate – What would happen on the removal of this component?
• (R) reverse – What might be turned around or placed opposite for the desired results? How best to rearrange the layout plan or scheme? What other pattern, layout, or sequence would improve the results?
I was asked to re-work three images from the unit so I decided on the images below as I felt they still had potential as two of them are sketches and 1 (3 drawings for this exercise, I chose to incorporate 3 of the watercolours sketches into one image as they all belonged to the same exercise anyway – they are watercolour drawings with no background) I also chose images with created using different mediums so that I could see how each outcome differed:
Image 1: (from Exercise 3.2 – working with external visual impetus – people – single figure) My 3 chosen words from SCAMPER: Combine / Adapt / Modify
My Plan: I am going to combine this sketch with a photo of pixels that I found off Google Images, I am going to adapt the image by swapping the blank background for a black background and I am going to modify the image by making the final image large and I will do this by using my Wacom Cintiq so I can keep the original sketch intact.
Image 2: (from Exercise 3.2 – working with external visual impetus – people – single figure) My 3 chosen words from SCAMPER: Eliminate / Reverse / Modify
My Plan: I am going to eliminate the drawing of the mug in my mum’s hand and modify the image by incorporating a real image of a mug into the image, and I am going to reverse the image to see how flipping the image will change the outcome.
Image 3: (from Exercise 3.2 – working with external visual impetus – people – crowds and activities)
My 3 chosen words from SCAMPER: Combine / Adapt / Modify
My Plan: I am going to combine the watercolour illustrations above with a photo I found off Google Images of a bench for the two people to sit on. I will adapt the image by turning the image of the bench and the watercolour people monotone to hopefully make it all fit in and before more natural, and finally, I will modify the image by changing the scale of each watercolour figure to match the size and proportion of where they are in the image (to fit on the bench).