Part 2 – Feedback Notes

To kick off part two I learned how the brief process works and how to write my own one, for this I had to make up a brief that would suit a children’s book cover that I had chosen for the exercise. I understood how to create a good brief as it wasn’t too long or short and also didn’t have a ridiculous amount of information in it. The brief is supposed to pinpoint everything you want the artist to do but for the actual artwork and how it’s created is up to the artist. I then moved onto the spider diagrams. The exercise was designed for the purpose of letting me express my thoughts quickly and organising them into a ‘spider diagram’. This process is also known as a form of brainstorming. I found this exercise interesting as I was able to not only write down all the words that were in my head when I thought of the certain given word, but I was also able to make connections between certain words within the spider diagram. Words to Pictures was the next exercise, when I look back at my two pages of ‘destructive’ images I can now draw a fine line between the page that I spent more time on and the one it looks like I rushed. There are a lot more interesting and thought provoking ideas in the first page in comparison to the second. The mood-board exercise was interesting, I was able to find many examples of my chosen theme ‘exotic’ within newspapers and magazines, I only used the internet to find three images of exotic birds. When I look back at my work from this exercise, I realise how little amount of artwork I actually put into it! In the exercise about using reference I enjoyed researching and creating the 1950’s themed illustrations where I had to show as much 1950’s information as possible that I can add into the illustration. I feel like I had improved my artwork when looking back at the first design in comparison to the final design. Strangely I thought that creating my art using my digital drawing tablet would help me in this exercise because I could change my design’s colours with the click of a button, I actually created my final design with marker pens and a fine liner in the end and I feel that this design is stronger so I suppose it’s a lesson for me to not automatically go to digital art because it feels easier and safer! For the mark making exercise it was interesting to see how many items you’d normally have in your art box, I decided to buy quite a few additions for my art box so that I could use different materials for different projects so that I didn’t worry about the fact that I didn’t have a certain type of pencil nearer the time. The exercise problem solving was a way for me to think very creatively with an open mind, I decided to incorporate photography into my artwork and I felt that it gave my designs a unique feel. In the black and white exercise I created five designs based on different words but I decided to focus on the word ‘extraordinary’ and linked the extraterrestrial aspect as I have a love for anything alien (literally). I feel like my illustration of the flying saucer really showed off what type of artist I am and what my style involves. For the project ‘choosing content’ I created an image based on an extract from the book “The Daffodil Affair’ by Michael Innes. I feel that my final design is interesting but when I look back on it now I feel like I shouldn’t have relied on photography for the back of my image and maybe taken the time to draw it in detail, I am still quite happy with the image though. The last exercise for part 2 ‘meanings in imagery’ helped me to understand what visual metaphors were and how they were created using imagery. I feel that my drawn examples based on the phrase ‘broken relationship’ were good but quite simplistic, if i was to de-do this project again I would think up more unique ideas of how I chose use imagery to put across the phrase. Assignment 2 was really interesting and fun to do, I enjoyed researching Emma Dibben’s art as I had known of her art for a long time especially when shopping at Waitrose, I just never thought to research her. I found it fun to recreate her designs in her style of illustration and I thought I made a good job of it, for my final designs for the fruit and veg point of sale displays I thought that overall my designs were bold and eye-catching but looking back now I wish I had gone down the more ‘natural’ approach when illustration fruits and veg like Emma Dibben did, a quality illustrator for a quality supermarket.