For assignment three I have been asked to create a 9-panel comic page that brings some of the structures and conventions from the course so far together.
I need to pick one of the four titles below as a starting point to develop my story:
- ‘City Story’
- ‘On a Journey’
- ‘A chance encounter’
- ‘The Big Event’
I chose 4. ‘The Big Event’ because I already had a few ideas in my head whilst reading the title.
Next, I need to think up a basic storyline that fits my chosen title.
planning out ideas for my stories:
‘The Big Event’ could mean positive or negative events so I have listed both below for my ideas:
- End of the world – Nuclear War, Volcano, Meteor, Apocolypse, etc.
- Work – Stress, Burnout, Deadlines, Money, etc.
- Pandemic – Covid-19, Illness, Zombies, etc.
- Work – A big meeting, Raise, Promotion, etc.
- Celebrations – Wedding, Christening, Birthday, Graduation, etc.
- Holidays – Easter, Christmas, Hanukkah, etc.
- Birth of a child
- Natural Wonders – Solar Eclipse, Aurora Borealis, Rainbow etc.
My Story section:
Next, I need to cut my story section up to fit in with the 9 panels (I will also be highlighting the different types of info, for instance i will highlight the dialogue orange etc):
My chosen text underneath each of the 9 panel:
My thumbnail sketches with my cut-up story underneath each panel:
My final designs:
Final comic page design in panels:
I am really happy with how this assignment went, I spent a lot of time on it. I think my outcomes worked out really well, I’m glad I chose to create my final designs using just a monochrome palette apart from the red eye in the final panel. I think if I was to change anything it would be to add a more continuous use of shadows in each panel as some of them don’t have them. I think this outcome was probably the best one I have done whilst on the course so I am super happy 🙂